Expert says that potato soup are great for heart, bone health and can achieve a healthy weight. It has a high amount of calcium and vitamin D which is very healthy and easy to do.
Here are the steps to cook the Garlic and Potato Soup:
- 4 russet potatoes
- 1 spring onion, rinsed and chopped
- 4 green garlic stalks, white and light green parts only
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4 cups vegetable broth, or more if needed
- ½ cup whipping cream or half & half
- 1 tablespoon chives, minced for garnish
- Wash, peel and cut the potatoes into 1-inch cubes and set them in a bowl of cold water. Set aside.
- Thoroughly rinse the spring onion and the green garlic stalks and chop.
- Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the chopped spring onion (save the dark green parts for garnish) and cook until translucent, about 2 minutes.
- Add the green garlic and continue to cook, stirring frequently, about 2 minutes, being careful not to let the garlic burn (burnt garlic is bitter).
- Season with salt, pepper, cook and stir for 1 more minute. Add the broth and bring to a simmer. Reduce the heat to low, cover and cook for 20 minutes.
- Remove the potatoes from the bowl of water and add them to the onion/garlic and broth mixture.
- Cook the potatoes until they’re tender, about 20 minutes.
- Transfer the potato chunks and some spring onion and green garlic mixture into a blender with about ½ cup of the cooking liquid.
- Puree until smooth, adding more cooking liquid as needed. The soup should be thick, but pourable.
- Pour the potato mixture back into a pot; stir in the heavy cream. Cook over medium-high heat until the cream is warmed through, about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Garnish with fresh chopped spring onion greens and chopped chives if desired.
Enjoy your Garlic and Potato Soup!