Quick French Onion Soup
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 large sweet onions, sliced
- 2 cups spring onions or leeks, whites and light green parts only
- 2 tablespoons garlic, chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme, chopped or 1/4 teaspoon dried
- 1/4 cup dry sherry, (see Ingredient Note)
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 3 teaspoon Vegetable Stock Paste (look our recipe)
- 1 15-ounce can chickpeas, rinsed
- 1/4 cup chives or scallions, minced
- 6 slices whole-wheat country bread
- 1 cup Gruyère or fontina cheese, shredded
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add sweet onions and stir to coat. Cover, reduce heat to medium and cook, stirring often, until softened and starting to brown, 6 to 8 minutes. Add spring onions (or leeks), garlic and thyme and cook, uncovered, stirring often, until starting to soften, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Stir in sherry and pepper; increase heat to medium-high and bring to a simmer. Cook, stirring often, until most of the liquid has evaporated, 1 to 2 minutes. Mix Vegetable Stock Paste and chickpeas and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook until the vegetables are tender, about 3 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in chives (or scallions).
- Meanwhile, toast bread and divide it among 6 bowls; top with cheese. Ladle the soup over the bread and cheese and serve immediately.