Creamed spinach is a simple side dish that is also the perfect way to use up any dying spinach. The creaminess will make you forget you're eating spinach and turn anyone into a fan of leafy greens. It seems like a lot of spinach, but it will boil down into almost nothing so don't skimp on it.
- 20 oz.
- baby spinach
- 2 tbsp. butter
- 1/2 medium yellow onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 c. milk
- 1/4 c. heavy cream
- 4 oz. cream cheese
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Pinch cayenne pepper
- 1/4 c. freshly grated Parmesan
- In large pot of boiling salted water, cook spinach for 30 seconds. Drain and place in a bowl of ice water.
- When cool enough to handle, drain and squeeze out as much excess water as possible.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, melt butter. Add and onion and cook until soft, 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook until fragrant, 1 minute more.
- Add milk, heavy cream, and cream cheese to skillet. Simmer until cream cheese is melted. Season with salt, pepper, and a pinch of cayenne.
- Add spinach and Parmesan and stir to combine.
- Enjoy and serve.
If you tried this recipe, let us know what you thought of it in the comments below!