An exemplary bread roll in Australia and New Zealand, this yummy treat gets it's name from the kids' toy, the yo-yo. Since that is what they resemble!
• 225g butter, softened
• 1 tsp vanilla essence
• 1⁄2 cup icing sugar
• 1⁄2 cup custard powder
• 1 3⁄4 cups plain flour
• 1 tsp baking powder
• 50g butter, softened
• 2 cups icing sugar
• 3 Tbsp passionfruit pulp
• Preheat the oven to 180°C. Line two large baking trays with baking paper and set aside
• Place the butter and icing sugar in the bowl of an electric mixed and beat together until pale and fluffy.
• Add the vanilla and beat until combined. Using a wooden spoon, mix in the cornflour and plain flour until a dough forms.
• Form 1/2 tablespoonfuls of the dough into balls and place onto the prepared trays, leaving a 3-4cm gap between each ball, as the biscuits will spread. Flatten each one gently with the back of a damp fork.
• Transfer into the oven for 12 minutes or until the biscuits begin to colour.
• Remove from the oven and cool on the tray for 10 minutes, before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
• To make the icing, beat the sugar and butter in the bowl of an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Add the passionfruit and mix to combine.
• Get the kids to help you assemble, by spreading the base of a biscuit with icing, and then joining with another biscuit. Repeat with remaining biscuits and icing.
• Dust with icing sugar and serve.
Tips & Hints:
The Passionfruit Yoyo's will keep for 5 days when stored in an airtight container.